Looking for Phar Lap 286 Dos-Extender
WieMie
2005-02-15 19:34:40 UTC
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.

Does anyone still have it, or knows how to get it?

It was distributed in the following versions
BC3.0
BC4.x
VS1.0

I need the BC4.x version

Yours Sincerely,
WieMie
Richard Bonner
2005-02-15 22:50:09 UTC
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.
Does anyone still have it, or knows how to get it?
WieMie
*** I don't have access to it, but you might also try searching for
"QRAM" from Quarterdeck. I believe it extended both 808n and 286 systems.

I have QEMM 8.1. but I don't see QRAM on my systems. E-mail me and I
will check the original discs.

Richard Bonner
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/
a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2005-02-16 01:59:05 UTC
Post by Richard Bonner
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.
Does anyone still have it, or knows how to get it?
WieMie
*** I don't have access to it, but you might also try searching for
"QRAM" from Quarterdeck. I believe it extended both 808n and 286 systems.
I have QEMM 8.1. but I don't see QRAM on my systems. E-mail me and I
will check the original discs.
I don't think that would work.

"286|DOS-Extender (Lite)" provides a OS/2 1.x runtime environment and
DOS Family API support.
--
Arargh502 at [drop the 'http://www.' from ->] http://www.arargh.com
BCET Basic Compiler Page: http://www.arargh.com/basic/index.html

To reply by email, remove the garbage from the reply address.
Richard Bonner
2005-02-18 22:30:27 UTC
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by Richard Bonner
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite).
WieMie
*** I don't have access to it, but you might also try searching for
"QRAM" from Quarterdeck. I believe it extended both 808n and 286 systems.
I have QEMM 8.1. but I don't see QRAM on my systems. E-mail me and I
will check the original discs.
I don't think that would work.
--
Arargh502
*** OK. If you don't get anywhere else, e-mail me and I shall look.

a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2005-02-18 22:38:36 UTC
Post by Richard Bonner
Post by a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
Post by Richard Bonner
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite).
WieMie
*** I don't have access to it, but you might also try searching for
"QRAM" from Quarterdeck. I believe it extended both 808n and 286 systems.
I have QEMM 8.1. but I don't see QRAM on my systems. E-mail me and I
will check the original discs.
I don't think that would work.
--
Arargh502
*** OK. If you don't get anywhere else, e-mail me and I shall look.
Not me, the OP. I already have all of the versions.

WieMie
DOS Family API support.
Richard Bonner
2005-02-15 23:06:59 UTC
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.
Does anyone still have it, or knows how to get it?
WieMie
*** I did some research and have some links at my site. Search "Phar
Lap" at:

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.html

a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2005-02-16 01:56:50 UTC
Post by Richard Bonner
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.
Does anyone still have it, or knows how to get it?
WieMie
*** I did some research and have some links at my site. Search "Phar
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~ak621/DOS/Websites.html
The link to microway would be for the full extender, not the Lite
version. The full version used to cost $500 US, btw, without any
runtime licenses. That's where they really get you.

a***@NOW.AT.arargh.com
2005-02-16 05:49:00 UTC
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.
I think it was only (free) if you bought the software it came with.

The license doesn't say anything about free.

WieMie
2005-02-16 17:50:25 UTC
Actually, we bought Borland C++ 4.5 a few years ago, it was not included
unfortunately.

This is what I've found at another news-post:

¦ Extended-DOS Power by ¦
¦ Phar Lap's 286|DOS-Extender Lite (TM) Version 2.5 ¦
¦ Copyright 1992 Phar Lap Software Inc. ¦
¦ For more information call Phar Lap at 617-661-1510 ¦

Congratulations! You've just received your FREE copy of
286|DOS-Extender Lite, a special Borland C++ version of Phar Lap
Software's award-winning 286|DOS-Extender SDK -- the most widely used
16-bit DOS extender available.
This package includes everything you need to get started building multi-
megabyte Borland C++ applications. With 286|DOS-Extender Lite, your
programs can break the 640K DOS barrier, access up to 2 MB of memory,
and run under DOS, DESQview and Windows.

You may wish to purchase Phar Lap's 286|DOS-Extender SDK if you would
like the following features: Turbo Debugger support, access to up to 16
MB of memory, Phar Lap's technical support and extensive documentation,
and the ability to deliver your Extended-DOS application to customers
with Phar Lap's 286|DOS-Extender Run-Time Kit (RTK). The SDK is
available from Phar Lap (phone 617-661-1510; fax 617-876-2972).

286|DOS-EXTENDER LITE VS 286|DOS-EXTENDER SDK

286|DOS-Extender Lite ¦ 286|DOS-Extender SDK
------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
No debugging support ¦ Full support for Turbo Debugger
¦
Programs can use up to 2 MB memory ¦ Programs can use up to 16 MB memory
¦
50 pages of documentation on disk ¦ 700+ pages of printed documentation
¦
Technical support for installation ¦ Technical support for development
¦
Cannot deliver Extended-DOS ¦ Add-on run-time kit available for
programs to customers ¦ delivering Extended-DOS programs
¦
Several example programs ¦ Extensive example programs
¦
No spawn function available ¦ Supports spawn function
¦
May be used with Borland C++ only ¦ May be used with other compilers
¦
Available FREE with Borland C++ ¦ Available for $495 from Phar Lap
Matt Claessen
2005-02-16 20:37:11 UTC

AFAIK, the Phar-Lap Dos-Extender 286 lite came with Borland C++ version 3.1
If you want to write protected mode DOS programs with version 4.02 or 4.5, you
should get the "PowerPack for DOS", from Borland themselves. It has both 286
and 386 DOS extenders.

regards, Matt
Klaus Meinhard
2005-02-16 06:40:23 UTC
Post by WieMie
To build an old Borland C++ 4.5-project I need the Phar Lap
286|DOS-Extender (Lite). Unfortunately I cannot find this (free) software.
Does anyone still have it, or knows how to get it?
Is this of any use?

ftp://ftp.nsk.su/.3/language/c-cpp/pharlap.zip
--
* Klaus Meinhard *
www.4dos.info
- Info for DOS -
WieMie
2005-02-16 17:55:58 UTC
I'm not sure what it is, I've found this ZIP on the Borland-ftp as well.
It seems to be some sort of a graphics-library to use in your
C++-application.

It is unfortunately not what I'm looking for, since I'm looking for the
286|Dos-Extender itself (this seems to be just a small part of it). This
one uses a DLL-file, while my application is DOS-only (so no DLL's used)

Thanks anyway
WieMie